BARD PAPER: SARA0003
Serpent-Class System Patrol Boat
design by Lewis Roberts
The Serpent-Class was built using lessons learned in the
designing the Warlock-class SDB. Its designers thought it
was a bit to small to be called a System Defense Boat, so the
type designation System Patrol Boat was created. The
Serpent-Class has the same performance as the
Warlock-Class, but without the planetary bombardment
facilities, the Configuarable Pod, and a smaller cargo bay. This
allows the ship to be built on a smaller hull and for considerably
The Serpent-Class is designed purely for the export market.
The salespeople pitch the ship as a small highly armed ship
capable of patrolling a system. It won't take out a Vampire
Capital ship, but is more than capable of fighting off a pirate,
smuggler or rebel ship.
While the ship is streamlined, it doesn't not normally enter planetary atmospheres. Its fusion engines would contaminate the biosphere of any planet. It normally only enters the atmosphere of gas giants. Since the ship can not land on the planet's surface to pick up crew and supplies, these are normally supplied by surface-to-orbit shuttles. If the planet does not have the capacity to build such vehicles, the Oriflamme have several models that clients can purchase.
Serpent-Class System Defense Boat
|Displacement: 200 tons
||Hull Armor: 275
|Length: 17.49 meters
||Volume: 2,800 m3
|Price: 420.58 MCr
||Target Size: S
||Tech Level: 9
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 5,918.8 / 5,856.4
- Power Plant: 200 MW Fusion Power Plant, 1 year duration (30.0 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: None
- G-Rating: 1G Fusion Rocket (-117.6 MW/G), Auxiliary Standard CG (60 MW)
- Maint: 149
- Computer: 2xTL-9 Fibre-optic computer (0.5 MW)
- Commo: Maser (1 hex; 0.15 MW), Radio (1 hex; 1 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging radar, Satellite positioning, 130 km/h NOE
- Sensors: Radar (2 hex; 150 MW), HRT Folding array (3 hex; 0.25 MW),
- ECM/ECCM: None
- Controls: Bridge with 8 bridge workstations, 3 normal workstations
3xMissile Barbette (0.15 MW; No crew)
- Defensive: 3xSand Turret (1 MW; 1 crew)
- Master Fire Directors: 3xTL-9 (2 Diff Mods; 2 hex; Msl 10 hex; 15.36 MW; 1 crew)
- Life Support: Extended (0.09 MW), Gravitic Compensators (0 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 0 G.
- Crew: 16 (1xManeuver, 2xElectronics, 3xEngineer, 6xGunnery, 2xMaintenance, 2xCommand)
- Crew Accommodations: 1 Small Stateroom (0.5 kW) for the captain. The crew and XO hotbunks in 5 bunks. These are actually the
standard hammock of the Oriflamme navy. Each crew member gets his own private hammock.
- Cargo: 238 m3 (17 tons), 1 Large Hatches, 42 missiles in magazine
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 2
Total Fuel Tankage: 41.4 m3 (3.0 tons).
Fuel scoops (10% of ship surface), fills tanks in 0.04 hours.
Fuel purification machinery (1.8MW), 1.24 hours to refine 41.4 m3.
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Original FFS' crew model.
53.5 MW power surplus with the fusion rockets powered, without them on, there is a power deficiet and careful power managment is neccesary. Usually this is made up by turning off unneccesary equipment.
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.