BARD PAPER: SARA0019
Ahven Class System Defense Boat
design by Juha Kyllonen
Originally design office Aurora Borealis (Vyborg/Solomani Rim) was doing a
research project about extreme long-range lasers. The project result was a
x-ray laser, which was capable of 870 000km range. It was also decided, that
these lasers are mounted on small bay, five lasers in one bay, thus forming
Time went on ,and other things happened. Then one of office's design
engineers noticed a Imperial Navy call (232-1080) for SDB design. After
quickly arranged meetings, it was decided to participate the contest, and
the engineer who had found the call in first place, got the honours to lead
The main goals was set as: economical, small, long-range weapons.
A search thorugh office's files was fruitful: x-ray laser battery was found
from gathering the dust.
The price limit was set to 650MCr, but the ultimate goal of project "Ahven"
was to be able to build 3 ships at that cost. But, after few weeks of hectic
working it was clear that target can't be met: those ships would be quite
inefficient. Still pushing the economical matter, the price was kept down
during the design process. Finally plans were ready to be introduced to the
board of office.
Main weapon is the laser battery, mounted on a small bay. Secondary weapons
are two missile barbettes. On defensive side, two Sand turrets, EM masking,
a small nuclear screen and small (200 PV) meson screen and 105 Gturns. While
meson based weapons are devastating at short range, they aren't that
formitable at longer ranges. With ship's 7G acceleration its standard
operation prosedure to keep distance from enemy ships. Given meson gun's
short range, a small screen should be enough to protect the ship.
The battery can be overpowered to 400 shots/turn (-4 diff.) and when used
with ships excelent communications, they can be remotely operated or given
target hand-off's from other bases, drones or ships. Missile barbettes are
offered, but no special missile were developed for the ship, because of lack
of resources. A subcontractor was considered, but idea was rejected. SS-N-31
Sparte missiles are recommended, but standard Imperial missiles will fit
also (200 m^3 missile storage room).
Most of ship's important systems have a backup: AEMS, PEMS, PEMS antenna,
etc. It was clear that the best possible sensors would be used in this ship
on the active side. The crew's comfort was thought also: a sickbay was added
and one large stateroom for traditional recreational use: Sauna.
Overall expression of the ship is: economical enough to be produced in large
quantities, doesn't rely on expensive missiles for firepower and have good
active sensors. Fast enough to be able to quickly intercept approaching
enemy vessels, and fuel to burn.
|Displacement: 635 tons
||Hull Armor: 200
||Volume: 8890 m3
||Target Size: S
|Configuration: SL Box
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded):7026.8 / 6651.9
- Power Plant: 700 MW Fusion Power Plant, 0.9 year duration (243 m3
- Jump Performance: None
- Jump Fuel: 0 m3
- G-Rating: 7G HEPlaR (351.47 MW/G), Auxiliary Improved CG (127
- G-Turns: 105, 43.9 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 178
- Computer: TL-15 Fibre-optic computer (1.1 MW), 2xTL-15 Flight computer
- Commo: 2xMaser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Radio (10 hex; 10 MW)
- Avionics: maging EMS, IGS positioning, 190 km/h NOE
- Sensors: xAEMS (16 hex; 25 MW), PEMS Folding array (6 hex; 0.2 MW),Backup
PEMS; Range 4 HexBackup PEMS Antenna, 20m Fixed
- ECM/ECCM:EMS Jammer (6 hex;22 MW), EM Masking (8.89 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 9 bridge workstations, 19 normal workstations
- Offensive50 ton Laser bay with 5 750 Mj lasers. ROF= (-4 DMs)
2xMissile Barbette (0.15 MW; 1 crew)
- Defensive:Meson Screen Generator (PV=200; 6.3 MW; 1 Crew)
2xSand Turret (1 MW; 1 crew)
1xNuclear Damper (2 hex; 6 MW; 1 Crew)
- Master Fire Directors: 2xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; Msl 10 hex; 1.86 MW; 1
|750 Mj Laser ||10:1/22-68 ||20:1/22-68 ||40:1/22-68 ||80:1/22-68
- Life Support: Extended (0.77 MW)
- Gravitic Compensation: 6Gs (19.25 MW)
- Crew:35 (1xManeuver, 1xElectronics, 18xEngineer, 6xGunnery, 1xMaintenance,
- Crew Accommodations: 20xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW), Large Stateroom (1 kW)
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: Sick Bay (0.8 MW)Emergancy Low Berth (2
- Cargo: 140 m3 1 Large Cargo Hatch, 28 missiles in
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 6
One large stateroom is provided for crew's recreational use (sauna).
Total Fuel Tankage: 4855.99321875 m3 (346.9 tons)
Fuel scoops (30% of ship surface), fills tanks in 0.46
Fuel purification machinery (3MW), 48.56 hours to refine 4855.99321875
127.9 MW power
Designed with Antti Lahtinen's spreadsheets.
Surface Hits Internal
Explosion Systems Systems Systems
Air Locks 0.1 Elec 1.6 AEMS-2x2h LS-19H LB
Antenna 1.5 Hold 0.3 AG-1H LSR-1x1H LT
Cargo hatch 0.2 Fuel 10.9 AL-6x1h MD-3H MB
EMM Rad 0.7 Qtrs 2.3 ELS-10H MFD-2x2h MG
Launch ports 0 Eng 1.8 EMM-1H MS-1H MT
Screens 0.6 Weap 2.6 EMM Rad-8h ND-1H NDB
Total 3.1 Total 19.5 FPP-3H PEMS-1h NDT
FT-49H PEMS Ant-1h PA
Locations HULL-8H PP-9H TS
Man drive 3.4 JD-1h SSR-20x2h
Jump drive 0 LBth-None
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.