BARD PAPER: SARA0031
Eyeball Beta- Class Probe
design by Nick
The eyeball series of probes offered a means of observing over a wide area without danger to the parent ship. Ranging in size from 1dt to 3 dt, plus the larger 5dt Cyclops, they provided survey and scout ships with many additional functions.
The Gamma Variant complemented the Beta type in the long range Search And Rescue role; Betas provided the search equipment, while the Gamma introduced a basic rescue capability. A single seat and extended life support was crammed in at the expense of long range sensors and fuel. Maximum thrust was reduced to 6G, since TL14 Grav Compensation could not overcome the standard 8G, and a short range radio was fitted to enable communication with simple survival gear communicators. No airlock was fitted; the whole drone had to be depressurised to allow entry from or exit to vacuum.
EMM was fitted as standard, since this was primarily a military design, and the probes were even fitted out with Contra-Grav drives to assist operations in planetary gravity wells. This combination was also used for a variety of less well-publicised roles by the military, since the ability to carry a single operative in an almost invisible, remote controlled capsule which could land on planets was obviously useful for covert operations.
See also the
Beta Series Search Probe
Gamma Series Rescue Probe.
Eyeball Gamma-Class Probe
|Displacement: 1 tons
||Hull Armor: 12
|Length: 2.99 meters
||Volume: 14 m3
|Price: 4.07 MCr
||Target Size: Mc
||Tech Level: 14
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 17.1 / 16.7
- Power Plant: 10 MW Fusion Power Plant, 0.1 year's duration (36 days) at 0.12m3 of Lhyd Fuel
- Jump Performance: None
- G-Rating: 6G HEPlaR (0.44 MW/G)
- G-Turns: 84,
- Maint: 2
- Computer: , TL-14 Flight computer (0.05 MW)
- Commo: Maser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Radio (0.1 hex; 0.1 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS positioning, 180 km/h NOE
- Sensors: AEMS (1 hex; 6 MW), PEMS Folding array (1 hex; 0.02 MW),
- ECM/ECCM: EM Masking (0.014 MW)
- Controls: No bridge, 0 normal workstations
- Offensive: None
- Defensive: None
- Master Fire Directors: None
- Life Support: m3 LS volume (0 MW), Gravitic Compensators (0.07 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 5 G.
- Crew: 2 (1xManeuver, 1xElectronics)
- Crew Accommodations: Cockpit
- Cargo: None
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 0
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Original FFS' crew model.
0.4 MW power surplus
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All righ
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.