BARD PAPER: SARA0035
Admiral Battle Rider
design by Nick Bradbeer
The Admiral is essentially a Light Cruiser without a jump drive. Optimised
for combat and carried into battle by specialist tenders, the Admirals pack a lot of combat power into a 25,000 ton chassis. We are not given much information on the history or background of the class in Battle Rider, but from the TL and the fact that they are carried by Cleon-class Battle Tenders, I assume they are the work of the early Third Imperium.
The ship has a notable double-spinal armament, combining a 40-GJ Spinal PAW capable of dealing 1000 damage at 80 hexes with a 30-GJ Meson Gun capable of shredding practically any sized ship up close. These are backed up by a heavy missile bay, a number of heavy laser barbettes and a plethora of light defensive turrets. Additional defence is provided by a handful of nuclear dampers, an obscene number of sandcasters and a very large meson screen (toned down to make it actually fit in the ship).
I have had to guess quite a lot of the detail, as anyone who has converted
BR-TNE will understand. In order to allow the vessel to operate away from a
tender for extended periods as a Heavy SDB, I have included reasonable
support facilities, relatively luxurious crew quarters and a moderate cargo
bay. The 100-ton hangar may also be used to carry two Modular Cutters, one
Cutter with space for easy repair, one Shuttle or one Sulemain-Class
Scout/Courier for use as a courier when on SDB/picket duty.
Sensors and comms are heavily backed up for redundancy, with the exception
of the Meson Comm and the Densitomoter, both felt to be luxuries that the
ship can afford to be without in a pinch. The (seemingly huge) number of
MFDs was calculated from BR guidelines, where one MFD is allocated for each
spinal weapon, plus one per two laser mounts, plus the number of missile
directors stated on the BR counter.
Finally, I was quite pleasantly surprised that there was enough space left
over to include Emergency Low Berths; a feature I'm sure the crew will
appreciate. I did consider lifeboats, but they require a phenomenal amount of space.
Operates in squadrons of six Admiral-Class Battle Riders plus one Cleon-Class Battle Tender (300,000 dt)
This design was converted from the data given in Battle Rider. The only
variation from the given data is the reduction of the Meson Screen from 2000 to 1000, since the limits of surface area make it impossible to fit a larger screen onto the hull. All other aspects of the design have been adhered to.
Admiral-Class Battle Rider
|Displacement: 25,000 tons
||Hull Armor: ??
|Length: 219.8 meters
||Volume: 350,000 m3
|Price: 18.58 GCr
||Target Size: L
|Configuration: SL Wedge
||Tech Level: 14
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): ??
- Power Plant: 125 GW Fusion plant with 1 year's fuel
- Jump Performance: None
- Jump Fuel: 0 m3
- G-Rating: 5G HEPlaR torches, High-Efficiency CG
- G-Turns: 50
- Maint: 8968
- Computer: 6xTL-14 Fibre-Optic computers
- Commo: 4xLaser (1000AU), 8xMaser (1000AU), Meson (1000AU), 2xRadio (1000AU)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS
- Sensors: Active EMS Primary Array (16 hex), 2xActive EMS Backup Arrays (10-hex)
Passive EMS Primary Array (8 hex folding), Passive EMS
Backup Array (5 hex fixed)
20xLadar Trackers(10 hex), Densitometer
- ECM/ECCM: Radio Jammer (1000 AU), 2xEMS Jammers (16 hex), EM Masking
- Controls: Bridge with 142 workstations, 309 normal workstations, including Aux Bridge and FireControl Bridge
- Offensive 40-GJ Spinal PAW
TL-14 30-GJ Spinal Meson Gun
30xTL-14 360-MJ Laser Barbettes
90xTL-14 150-MJ Laser Turrets
TL-14 100-tonne Missile Bay (100 ready missiles feeding 20 autoloading
launchers - time to empty = 12 minutes, cyclic rate of fire = 1 missile per
15xTL-14 1-hex Nuclear Dampers
TL-14 Meson Screen (PV-1000)
- Master Fire Directors: 62xTL-14 Beam MFDs, 4xTL-14 Beam/Missile MFDs
|Name ||Short ||Medium ||Long ||Extreme |
|40-GJ Spinal PAW || 10:1000|| 20:1000|| 40:1000||80:1000|
|30-GJ Spinal Meson Gun|| 8:866 ||16:433|| 32:217||64:108|
|360-MJ Laser Barbettes || 10: 1/5-47|| 20: 1/5-47||40: 1/8-25|| 80: 1/4-13|
|150-MJ Laser Turrets|| 2: 1/10-31|| 4: 1/10-31||8: 1/10-31|| 16: 1/7-21|
- Life Support: Extended Life Support serving whole ship except fuel tanks
- Grav Compensation: 5G Grav Compensation serving whole ship except fuel tanks
- Crew: 968 (calculated by the modified FFS method)
325xGunnery (of which 150 serve the Meson Gun - ouch!)
- Crew Accommodations: 560xSmall Staterooms (Single rooms for officers, double
rooms for crew)
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: 1x100 ton bay, normally devoted to cargo; could be converted to weapons or
hangars. 25xEmergency Low Berths (capacity for 10% of normal crew complement)
- Cargo: 2800 m3 8 Large Cargo Hatches.80 missiles in magazine (560 m3)
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: 1x100-ton minimal hangar for Shuttle or Scout/Courier
4x50-ton minimal hangars for Modular Cutters
10x2-ton docking rings for travel pods
6x1-ton docking rings for recon drones
- Air Locks: 250
Fuel Scoops cover 4% of surface - 2.5 hours to fill tanks
1715 MW Power Surplus
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.