BARD PAPER: SARA0045
design by Antti Lahtinen
A while ago Peter Gray presented the Hawker patrol frigate and
Peregrine fighter. When I compared the Peregrinewith my own
designs it was interesting to see how different design
principles affected the final results. IMHO the main points in
Peregrine was the portability with Hawker and long endurance
(good fuel-endurance and a stateroom for crew).
I have made one fighter design at same size class. The Paarma
fighter is concentrated on long-range attack ability.
Paarma is a pre-collapse design which was manufactured by Aurora
Boriolis in Vyborg/Capella/Solomani Rim and Rheinmetall in
Saxe/Capella/Solomani Rim. Some advanced versions used Aquitane-
build 150 MW TL-15 power plants, which took only half the volume
and were 80 tons lighter than the standard TL-14 power plants.
|Displacement: 20 tons
||Hull Armor: 60
|Length: 35.52 meters
||Volume: 280 m3
|Price: 33.477 MCr (+16 MCr A-pod)
||Target Size: VS
|Configuration: SL Wedge
||Tech Level: 14
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 374.9 / 367.9
- Power Plant: 148.1 MW fusion, 2 month duration (2 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: 0
- Jump Fuel: 0 m3
- G-Rating: 6 G HEPlaR (18.75 MW/G), high-efficiency CG Lifter (2 MW)
- G-Turns: 42, 2.344 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 11
- Computer: 2xTL-14 standard computer (0.5 MW)
- Commo: Maser (1000 AU; 0.6 MW), Radio (10 hex; 10 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, inertial/gravitational positioning, 180 km/h NOE
- Sensors: AEMS (10 hex; 15 MW), PEMS Folding array (5 hex; 0.15 MW)
- ECM/ECCM: 180 sensor decoys (60 Laser, 60 AEMS, 60 PEMS), EM Masking
- Controls: No bridge, 2 normal workstations, Standard Automation
- Offensive TL-14 144-MJ small laser turret (Loc:10-Arcs:All;144 MW;No crew),
TL-14 small missile turret (Loc:12-Arcs:All;No crew)
- Defensive: None
- Master Fire Directors: 1xTL-14 beam/missile MFD (Lasers: 5 Diff Mod,
10 hex range, Missiles: 10 hex range, 1.92 MW; crew on cockpit)
|Name ||Short ||Medium ||Long ||Extreme |
|144 MJ Laser|| 10:1/10-30|| 20:1/10-30|| 40:1/10-30|| 80:1/5-15|
- Life Support: Extended (14 m3 supported volume; 3 kW)
- Grav Compensation: 5Gs (70 kW)
- Crew: 3 (1xManeuver, 1xElectronics, 1xGunnery)
- Crew Accommodations: Cockpit
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: 70 m3 reserved for a 5-ton pod
- Cargo: 0 m3
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 1
Performance values :(1 G, standard atmosphere),
Acceleration: 6 G,
Maximum airspeed: 7026 km/h (1951.7 m/s),
Endurance: 3.5 hours at full thrust, 2 months at full power.
Total Fuel Tankage: 100.4 m3 (7.2 tons)
2.7 MW power shortfall.
The 5-ton pod is a the center of gravity, just behind the cockpit, and
has opening at both top and bottom of the hull.
The above values are for the fighter with an assault pod. The
performance may vary when other pods are installed.
If the pod is ejected or the vehicle has empty cargo pod, the
acceleration and fuel endurance values are 8.39 G, 58.7 G-turns
Area Surface Hits Internal Explosion Systems
1-4 Fuel AEMS-2h
5-7 Ant Elec ELS-1H
8 1-2 AL,3-12 Ant 1-10 Elec, 11-20 Qtrs FT-1H
9-13 Pod HULL-1H
14-16 Ant Fuel LS-1H
17 1-4 EMM 1-6 Fuel, 7-20 Eng MD-3h
18-20 Ant Eng All others-(1h)
- Description: 144 MJ remote laser turret (hull top), 20-tube canister
launcher (hull bottom), 3-tube decoy dispenser (hull bottom),
beam/missile master fire director
- Mass: 105.9 ton (fully loaded with 20 missiles and 180 sensor decoys)
- Power: varies
- Price: 16 MCr (does not include missiles or decoys
- Vehicle performance: 6 G, 41.2 G-turn
The laser fire rate can be powered up to -4 diff mods.When
powered to this level, a Gigantic-sized target can be hit at 41 hex
range (Very Small target at 29 hex).
Area Internal Systems
9 MFD Decoy-1h
10-11 LT LT-1H
12 1-10 LT, 11-20 MT MFD-3h
13 1-17 MT, 17-20 Decoy MT-1h
Laser power consumption depends on rate of fire: 4/20/40/80 MW.
Paarma can power the laser with 80 MW (-3 DM) and still use sensors and
maneuver with 3 G thrust.
The laser can be used to fire low-energy (121 MJ) shots at high rate of
fire. At this level, the -4 DM rate can be achieved with 134.4 MW input
The laser is fully stabilized. This has no effect on space, but it
allows the laser to be used while fighting in atmosphere.
|Name ||Short ||Medium ||Long ||Extreme |
|144 MJ Laser ||10:1/10-30|| 20:1/10-30|| 40:1/10-30|| 80:1/5-15|
|121 MJ Laser|| 10:1/9-28|| 20:1/9-28|| 40:1/9-28|| 80:1/4-14
The missile launcher can be loaded with Solomani 30-series missiles.
The most commonly used missiles are M-31 and M-32.
SS-I-31 Sparte 500 kt det-nuke, guided, 20 G thrust, 20 G-turns
SS-I-32 Sneaker 500 kt det-nuke, guided, EMM, 19 G thrust, 19 G-turns
- Description: 70 m3 cargo hold, small cargo hatch (at bottom of hull)
- Mass: 140 ton fully loaded
- Price: 12 kCr
- Vehicle performance: 5.49 G, 38.4 G-turn
Ferry Tank Pod
- Description: 70 m3 dismountable fuel tank
- Mass: 5 tons
- Power: None
- Price: 14 kCr
- Vehicle performance: 8.24 G, 98.7 G-turn
- Description: 20 cramped seats, 2 air locks (at top and bottom of hull)
12 m3 cargo space, small cargo hatch (at bottom of hull), extended life
support, artificial gravity.
- Mass: 3.927 ton empty, 30.6 ton fully loaded (including 24 tons of
cargo and 20 jaegers with hand weapons and combat armor)
- Power: 0.343 MW
- Price: 147.3 kCr
- Vehicle performance: 7.45 G, 52.2 G-turns
Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises.
Portions of this material are © 1977-2001 Far Future
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.