BARD PAPER: SARA4001
Haven Mobile Starport
design by Eric Bould and
The Haven idea is that a starport could be created from modules that would be carried into place by other starships.
I noticed a number of components in the modular cutter section that
would be useful. A typical Haven would have:
x2 Fuel Module. These modules simply suck water up out of the ocean and
convert it into Liquid Hydrogen to be stored in an 800dt underground
tank. To me manufactured on site. The fuel crackers take 40 hours to
fill the tank
x1 Communications Command module. Provides excess power for fuel
x2 Habitation Modules.
x1 Medical Module
x2 Support Modules for repair of starships and ground vehicles. Basic
maintenance of starships.
and 1 1000-ton Meson Sphere. (see below).
That's a total of eight 29dt modules. Capable of being carried in two
200ton general cargo modules and two modular cutters.
By placing a number of passive and active sensor sites on the planet as
well as in orbit it become possible to target vessels approaching from
Due to the size of the meson sphere it can be carried by a single
Maggart Clipper with the remainder of the base being carried by a
standard Aurora. With a certain amount of modification the entire
arrangement can be carried by a single Hercules bulk carrier.
Alternatively a unique transport could be manufactured from the keel up.
|Displacement: 1000 tons
||Hull Armor: 10
|Length: 29.9 meters
||Volume: 14000 m3
|Price: 634.5 MCr
||Target Size: M
|Configuration: SL Sphere
||Tech Level: 12
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 10569.4 / 10495.9
- Power Plant: 1297.321 MW Fusion Power Plant, 2 year duration (389.1963
- Jump Performance: None
- Jump Fuel: 0 m3
- G-Rating: 1G HEPlaR (528.5 MW/G)
- G-Turns: 10, 66.1 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 512
- Computer: 2xTL-12 Fibre-optic computer (0.8 MW)
- Commo: Maser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Radio (Unlimited; 20 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS positioning, 160 km/h NOE
- Sensors: None, attached to global passive web.
- ECM/ECCM: EM Masking (14 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 7 bridge workstations, 15 normal workstations
- Offensive 2xMX-4G-1-1 (555.556 MW; 4 crew)
- Defensive: Meson Screen Generator (PV=300; 72 MW; 1 Crew)
- Master Fire Directors: TL-12 (4 Diff Mods; 8 hex; 2.56 MW; 1 crew)
|Name ||Short ||Medium ||Long ||Extreme |
|Meson Gun||1:316 ||2:141 ||4:71 ||No Extreme Range |
- Life Support: Extended (2.7956 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 4Gs (69.89)
- Crew: 36 (1xManeuver, 0xElectronics, 15xEngineer, 9xGunnery,
- Crew Accommodations: 31xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW), 5xLarge Stateroom (1
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: Electronics Shop (0.6 MW), Machine Shop (1 MW)
- Cargo: 0 m3
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 10
Total Fuel Tankage: 1049.8213 m3 (75 tons)
528.5 MW power shortfall.
The power shortfall presents no problem since once the site has
been dropped into position the HEPlaR units and reaction mass tanks are
removed to allow for full traverse of the twin meson guns. Both guns
are overpowered to -1 difficulty modifier and may only target one vessel
at a time.
Meson Spheres are generally dropped into lakes or other natural
features that allow for their easy concealment. Meson Spheres have enough fuel for a single trip from orbit to the ground so their placement must be carefully researched before hand.
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.