BARD PAPER: SARA5026
Mosquito Light Escort
design by Idiot/Savant
"The Mosquito was designed to meet the standard Imperial Navy
specification of 4G maneuver and jump-4 capability. Several squadrons
of this class served with distinction throughout the Fourth Frontier
War, and subsequent constrction on further models of this class was
undertaken at the Rhylanor shipyards.
As presented, this was a J4 G4 1000 DspT escort, armed with 6
missile and 4 sand turrets, and with 104 DspT of cargo space. The
converted version maintains the original socket layout, but
substitutes 4 300 Mj laser barbettes for some of the missiles. Cargo
space is reduced to 82 DspT, providing minimal hanger space for one
craft, or alternatively docking ring space for two. A minimal hanger
is also provided for a 40 DspT utility vehicle, usually a pinnace.
"One of the most popular configurations in the latter stages
of that war (and throughout the Fifth Frontier War) was as a
quasi-carrier for fighters and landers. A typical configuration saw
the pinnace replaced by a Type 1072 lander and the 104-ton cargo hold
loaded with two lance-class heavy fighters. The resulting offensive
punch and operational versatility caused the Imperial Design Review
Board to belatedly designate the Mosquito as an IDP design in 1111.
This configuration is now quite popular with Black War strike groups,
particularly those which anticipate a need for operational
flexability and/or fighter screens."
-- "Ships of the Black War", Challenge #60, p 29.
Possible modifications: put the Pinnace in a docking ring,
rather than a hanger - but does this allow other craft to be carried?
Mosquito Class Light Escort
|Displacement: 1000 tons
||Hull Armor: 42
|Length: 90 meters
||Volume: 14,000 m3
|Price: 718.472 MCr
||Target Size: M
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 8243.78 / 6347.15
- Power Plant: 2430 MW Fusion Power Plant, 1 year duration (243 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: 4
- Jump Fuel: 3500 m3
- G-Rating: 4G HEPlaR (500 MW/G), Auxiliary 1G High Efficiency Grav (100
- G-Turns: 47 (103 using all jump fuel), 62.5 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 277
- Computer: 3xTL-15 Fibre-optic computer (1.1 MW)
- Commo: 2xMaser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Radio (10 hex; 10 MW), Laser
(Unlimited; 0.3 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS positioning, 190 km/h NOE
- Sensors: AEMS w/ DF capability (16 hex; 25 MW), PEMS Folding (8 hex; 0.3
MW), 4xLadar (10 hex; 0.6 MW), Densitometer.
- ECM/ECCM: EMS Jammer (16 hex;50 MW), EM Masking (14 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 14 bridge workstations, 16 normal workstations
- Offensive 4xTL-14 300 Mj Laser Barbette (25.2 MW; Overpowered to -1
DiffMod; 1 crew), 2xMissile Barbette (5 ready missiles each;
0.15 MW; 1 crew), total 10 ready missiles plus 40 in cargo.
- Defensive:4xSand Turret (TL-15, 2D10x5 Reduc/hit; 50 Cann ea; 1 MW; 1
- Master Fire Directors: Fire Directors: 4xTL-15 Beam/Msl (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; 0.81 MW; 1
crew), 8xTL-12 (4 Diff Mods; 10 hex; Msl 10 hex; 3.25 MW; 1 crew)
- Life Support: Extended (14 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 6Gs (70 MW)
- Crew: 45 (2xManeuver, 2xElectronics, 16xEngineer, 14xGunnery,
1xMaintenance, 3xFlight, 1xSteward, 6xCommand)
- Crew Accommodations: 25xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW); 1xLarge Stateroom (1
- Passenger Accomadation: 3xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW)
- Other Facilities: Electronics Shop (0.6 MW), Machine Shop (1 MW)
- Cargo: 1149 m3 4 Large Cargo Hatches. 40 Missiles in Magazine
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: 40-ton minimal hangar; cargo bay
has launch port suitable for 40-ton small craft.
- Air Locks: 10
Total Fuel Tankage: 6437.5 m3 (459.82 tons)
Fuel scoops (10% of ship surface), fills tanks in 1.15 hours
Fuel purification machinery (9 MW), 21.46 hours to refine 6437.5 m3.
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.