BARD PAPER: SARA5xxx
design by Lewis Roberts
From Ships of the Black War by Charles Gannon in
The Shambalator class was designed for the Glisten Planetary Navy for
merchant escort and piracy suppression duties. As such it did not
need to be an exceedingly sophisticated design. However, a battery
of high-energy weapons was stipulated by the procurement team.The
policy of tradeofffs in the design also led to the unfortunate side
effect of the vessel having insufficient power to operate the
inertial compensators at acceleration of over 2Gs. It is also dependent
on outside fuel purification capability. Despite these flaws, 600 were
initially built and performed adequately in the Fifth Frontier War. About
450 remain in active service. Although not an IDP design, the Shambalator's
unusual balance of economy, defensive capacity and offensive versatility
has made it a common choice for supporting Black War operations.
Designer's Notes: I replaced the MT version's PAW turret with a
420 MJ laser barbette. I could have shoved several additional weapons
into the design, but that didn't seem in the flavor of the original
version. Comparing it to the Gazelle and Fiery Close Escorts, it
is bigger by 200 Tons than either of the two. It uses this space
to add sandcasters and extra weapons. It is 50MCr more expensive,
most of this cost comes from having three MFDs rather than one.
It also is more versitile, it has 30 staterooms and only 18 crew
so quite a few troops can be carried. The exact number depends on
how cramped everyone gets, but by double bunking the crew, except
the officers, 40 troops can be carried. It has a 68 ton hangar which
can carry up to 34 tons of small craft, if cramped, and 17 tons, if
spacious. This futher increases the mission flexability.
It also has a very unique approach to fuel, instead of including a
fuel purification plant, the ship has a very large numbers of G-turns
but these same G-turns can be used as jump fuel, allowing upto
three jumps in a row.
The ship can peform myriad tasks: scout, merchant escort, patrol
craft, troop carrier. It seems that this versitility it would make it
popular in the New Era. I see the ship not so much as a fleet escort,
such as the Lucifer, but a general purpose warship, its versitility
and small crew size make it ideal for a player character ship in a
|Displacement: 600 tons
||Hull Armor: 49
|Length: 75.66 meters
||Volume: 8,400 m3
|Price: 294.5 MCr
||Target Size: S
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 3,915.5 / 3,563.1
- Power Plant: 1.02 GW Fusion Power Plant, 1 year duration (102.1 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: 2 (1,260 m3 fuel)
- G-Rating: 3G HEPlaR (210 MW/G), Auxiliary High Efficiency CG (60 MW)
- G-Turns: 102 (J1: 126; 150 using all jump fuel), 26.3 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 124
- Computer: 3xTL-15 Fibre-optic computer (1.1 MW)
- Commo: Laser (Unlimited; 0.3 MW), Maser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Radio (Unlimited; 20 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS positioning, 190 km/h NOE
- Sensors: AEMS (16 hex; 25 MW), PEMS Folding array (6 hex; 0.2 MW), Ladar (10 hex; 0.6 MW), Densitometer (0.4 MW), Neutrino Sensor (0.01 MW),
- ECM/ECCM: EMS Jammer (4 hex;18 MW), EM Masking (8.4 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 8 bridge workstations, 6 normal workstations
- Offensive: 2x150 MJ Laser Turret (42 MW; No crew) ROF=100
420 MJ Laser Barbette (116.67 MW; No crew) ROF=100
2xMissile Barbette (0.15 MW; 1 crew)
- Defensive: 2xSand Turret (1 MW; 1 crew)
- Master Fire Directors: 1xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; 1.56 MW; 1 crew), 2xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; Msl 10 hex; 1.86 MW; 1 crew)
|150 MJ Laser Turret||10:1/10-31||20:1/10-31||40:1/10-31||80:1/10-31
|420 MJ Laser Barbette ||10:1/16-51||20:1/16-51||40:1/16-51||80:1/16-51
- Life Support: Extended (1.67 MW), Gravitic Compensators (41.69 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 6 G.
- Crew: 21(2xManeuver, 1xElectronics, 6xEngineer, 9xGunnery, 3xCommand)
- Crew Accommodations: 30xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW)
- Other Facilities: Electronics Shop (0.6 MW), Machine Shop (1 MW),
- Cargo: 266 m3 (19 tons), 1 Large Hatches, 32 missiles in magazine
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: 1x17-ton spacious hangar
- Air Locks: 6
Total Fuel Tankage: 4,039.6 m3 (288.5 tons).
Fuel scoops (50% of ship surface), fills tanks in 0.24 hours.
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Original FFS' crew model.
0.2 MW power surplus
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.