BARD PAPER: SARA5046
Fer-de-Lance Class Destroyer Escort
design by Nick Bradbeer
A standard fleet-escort size ship, the Fer-de-Lance is intended to provide
screening and protection for rapid-moving frontier squadrons who can expect
to be operating outside of tanker support. Packing a combined missile/laser
armament and very thin defences, the Fer-de-Lance offers a heavy punch
followed by a lengthy reload cycle. The missile-heavy armament makes this
ship a popular choice for High Guard duty, providing coverage to the fleet
during fueling procedures.
While the Fer has no cargo bay, its surprisingly large hanger often fills
this role. The two cutters are loaded with supplies by a fleet auxilary,
whereupon they dock and are used as storage areas. While wasteful of space,
this arrangement does allow extremely fast resupply of a squadron, and also
allows the ships being restocked to retain combat readiness rather than
The weapons load comprises four autoloaded missile barbettes, each carrying
five ready missiles. These are augmented by six single rapid-fire 400 MJ
grav-focussed remote laser barbettes, usually tied together into three
batteries each controlled by an MFD station.
I tried to keep the crew level down as far as possible - 31 was a
minimum, mainly enforced by the engineering and gunnery crews (five MFD
gunners, and four missile loaders).
Fuel percentage is 47.7 instead of 49 - close enough.
I included the two 50-ton cutters. A small crew, no troops and no cargo
bay suggested the cargo system above.
Fer-de-Lance Destroyer Escort
|Displacement: 1000 tons
||Hull Armor: 60
|Length: 53.05 meters
||Volume: 14,000 m3
|Price: 615.57 MCr
||Target Size: M
|Configuration: SL Box
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 8,005.9 / 7,538.0
- Power Plant: 5.4 GW Fusion Power Plant, 0.15 year duration (81.0 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: 4
- Jump Fuel: 3500 m3
- G-Rating: 6G HEPlaR (400.4 MW/G), High-Efficiency CG Lifter (100 MW)
- G-Turns: 62 (J3: 79.5; J2: 97; J1: 114.4; 131.9 using all jump fuel), 50.1
m3 fuel each
- Maint: 274
- Computer: 3xTL-15 Fibre-optic computer (1.1 MW)
- Commo: Laser (1000 AU; 0.3 MW), 2xMaser (1000 AU; 0.6 MW), Radio (10 hex; 10
- Avionics: TL 10+ Avionics
- Sensors: AEMS (16 hex; 25 MW), PEMS Folding array (6 hex; 0.2 MW), PEMS (4
hex; 0.1 MW), 4xLadar (10 hex; 0.6 MW),
- ECM/ECCM: EMS Jammer (16 hex;50 MW), EM Masking (14 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 13 bridge workstations, 9 normal workstations, , High
- Offensive 4xTL-14 Missile Barbette (Loc:0-Arcs:0;0 MW;1 crew) &
6xTL-15 400-MJ Laser Barbette (Loc:0-Arcs:0;444.4 MW;No crew)
- Defensive: None
- Master Fire Directors: 3xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; 1.56 MW; 1 crew), &
2xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 10 hex; Msl 10 hex; 1.86 MW; 1 crew)
|Name ||Short ||Medium ||Long ||Extreme |
|400-MJ Laser Barbette ||10:1/16-50 ||20:1/16-50 ||40:1/16-50|| 80:1/16-50|
- Life Support: Extended Life Support (1.44 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 6Gs (36.11 MW)
- Crew: 31 :
- Crew Accommodations:18xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW)
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: None
- Cargo: 0 m3
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: 1x100-ton minimal hangar, two launch
- Air Locks: 10
Total Fuel Tankage: 6,684.1 m3 (477.4 tons).
Fuel scoops (4% of ship surface), fills tanks in 2.98 hours.
Fuel purification machinery (10MW), 20.05 hours to refine 6,684.1 m3.
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Modifed FFS' crew model.
67.6 MW power surplus
Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises.
Portions of this material are © 1977-1996 Far Future
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.