BARD PAPER: SARA7004
design by Michael Bailey
A common design within and near the Solomani Confederation, the
Standard Shipyards J-3 Merchant was built in large numbers before
the Collapse. A cheaper Jump-2 variant, with increased cargo
space was also produced in large numbers. The other major
variant on this design was the William Dampier-Class of
exploration/survey vessels. The Dampiers were fitted with
jump-5 drives and a vastly upgraded sensor suite, at the expense
of most of the cargo space. Designed for exploration and survey
work in the Rimreach, Phlange and Tracerie Sectors, the
William Dampier-Class were usually armed.
A few examples of the J-3 Merchant survive into the New Era. The
Near Bootes Commonwealth retains a couple of examples as VIP
transports, the rest have passed into private hands.
|Displacement: 500 tons
||Hull Armor: 14
|Length: 66 meters
||Target Size: S
|Configuration: Slab SL
||Tech Level: 14
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 4450.55 / 1922.20
- Power Plant: 400 MW Fusion Power Plant (100 MW/hit), 1 year dur.
(40 m3 /yr)
- Jump Performance: Jump-3 (350 m3 fuel)
- G-Rating: 1-G (250 MW/G)(Heplar), Contra-grav lifters (50 MW)
- G-Turns: 50 (61 using jump fuel), 31.25 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 161
- Computer: 3x TL 14 Mod St Computers (1.5 MW each)
- Commo: 1 x 300,000km radio (10 hexes, 10 MW), 1 x 1000 AU maser (inf, 0.6 MW)
- Avionics: TL-10+ Avionics
- Sensors: Active EMS 120,000 km (4 hexes, 9 MW)
Passive EMS 120,000 km (4 hexes, 0.10 MW) folding array
- Controls: Bridge with 4 workstation. Plus 9 other workstations. Low Automation controls
3x standard turret socket
- Master Fire Directors
- Life Support: Extended.(1.4 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 5G (35 MW)
- Crew: 9 : 3x Eng, 1x Elec, 2x Maneuv, 1x Command,
- Crew Accommodations:
5x Large Staterooms (single/double occupancy, 0.010 MW)
- Passenger Accommodations:
- Cargo: 2128 m3. 4 Large cargo hatches.
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities:
- Air Locks: 4
Fuel purification machinery (2.5 MW), 18.23 hrs to refine 1952.5m3
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
©1996 by Paul Walker. Some of the material on this page is copyright by Paul Walker.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.
This page constructed by Lewis Roberts.