BARD PAPER: SARA7024
design by Blakrider
The Starhauler has been called the the Petty-class Trader's big
brother, It does look like a larger version of the subsidized merchant. It
was originally a Solomani trading ship used by a minor corporation for long
distance hauling, its jump-3 engines give it an advantage over most small
free traders and a number of versions of the ship have been seen for example, a
passenger liner. Even a light escort ship, or a Q-ship version was tried.
A number of the class was found in the wrecked space docks over Lote.
recovery, the ships were auctioned off to corporations, like KruyterCrop.
One was used to haul refined metal to Aurora and Aubaine. The Crew named her
Godzilla, after a old Solomani 2-D movie,starting a trend, naming the ships
after old Japanese monster movies. since the start of hostilities with the
Empire of Solee, the RC has operated most of the ships for transport of
equipment to the Shenk subsector. Its ability to roll on and roll off cargo
and its long legs in the form of its jump-3 engines make it almost ideal.
The only problem with the class is its high cost, over 240 MCr, and its
slow sublight speed, just 1G. On the plus side it is very well armed,
with 4 sockets for turrets, 2 MFD's and a missile barbette.
The Coalition currently has five ships of this class, the Godzilla, the
Rodan, the Gamera, Mothra and the Frankenstein.
The Frankenstein was
owned by a Luthalan, firm. The owner had the interior madeover with a
gothic stone look. The crews are a mix of Coalition and freelancers.
RCES and RCN personal have come to refer to the class as the BUFF class
(meaning Big Fat F***). There are some rumors of more of the class being
built on Aubaine and even Aurora. The large cargo bay can be used to hold
modules making them a muliti purpose ship. The only thing that is stopping
the construction of more if this class is the cost and the filling of every
construction site on Aubaine by Victrixes, Clippers and Frigates, but with
the growing need the Coalition has for straight heavy haulers the chances
of more being constructed
are getting better. If more are constructed they will probably have a faster
|Displacement: 1000 tons
||Hull Armor: 40
|Length: 60 meters
||Volume: 14,000 m3
|Price: 242.567 MCr
||Target Size: M
|Configuration: AF Cylinder
||Tech Level: 12
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 8828.012 / 5158.93
- Power Plant: 1000Mw fusion reactor (100Mw per hit) one year duration 160Mw
- Jump Performance: 3
- Jump Fuel: 2800 m3
- G-Rating: 1
- G-Turns: 48G-turns, 70 G-turns using jump fuel, 125m3 of fuel each
- Maint: 430
- Computer: 3x Mob Fib TL-12 (.8Mw each)
- Commo: 2xRadio 300,000km (10hex) (10Mw each)
Maser 300,000km (10hex) (0.3Mw)
- Avionics: TL-10+ avionics with TL-12 terrain following avionics (0.13Mw)
- Sensors: AEMS 120,000km (4 hex) (6.5Mw), PEMS 90,000km (2 hex) (0.1Mw)
- ECM/ECCM: EMM (14Mw)
- Controls: Bridge 12xworkstations, 6 other workstations
- Offensive 4 sockets(loc: 3, 4, 6,15), Missile Barbette. (loc. 12, 5 ready
missiles, (0.15Mw), 1 crew, 10 in cargo
- Defensive: None installed
- Master Fire Directors: 2MFD/Mls crew, 2 each 120,000km(4 hex)
- Life Support: Extended Life Support
- Grav Compensation: 3Gs (1.4MW)
- Crew: 30 : 2xElectronics, 2xMaintenance, 3xCommand, 5xGunnery, 6xEngineering, 3xMaintance,
2x medical, 2xstewards, 3xflight crew
- Crew Accommodations:36 small staterooms (3 single, 33double) (0.0005Mw each)
- Passenger Accommodations: 50 staterooms.(.0005Mw each)
- Other Facilities: Sickbay (.4Mw), Fuel Scoops on 20% hull surface allowing full tanks in 28 hours, fuel
- Cargo: m3 Large Cargo Hatches
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: 1xships boat in minimal hanger
- Air Locks: 10
There are two basic versions:a straight cargo ships version and a version with some passanger carrying capacity.
The cargo version has just one steward and no passanger rooms and 3349kliters cargo space.
The both cargo holds have life support. The large double hatches at both ends of the ship
allow easy roll on and off of cargo. The extra power (160Mw) allows
for machine shops and electronc shops, turning the ship into a mobile repair ship.
Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises.
Portions of this material are © 1977-2000 Far Future
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.