BARD PAPER: SARA9010
design by Franklin W. Cain
According to CT Supplement 7, the Xboat has a massive array of databanks.
I read that as meaning "a *lot* of extra computers." Unfortunately, in
any edition of Traveller, starship computers are too expensive to have a
large number of them installed in a starship. (By "large," I mean "three
or more times the usual number"; i.e., 10+ computers instead of just 3.)
To get around this, I made an assumption: I assumed the Model Flight
computers had approximately one-hundredth the storage capacity of Model
Standard computers. (Mod Flt have 1/10 the volume, mass, and power usage,
and 1/1,000 the cost.)
If my assumption was correct, I could have the storage capacity of five
additional Mod Std computers for the price of 1/2 an additional Mod Std
computer (but at the volume of 500 such computers).
Since the Xboat has *always* been a maneuver-less ship with minimal cargo,
I felt justified in spending the ship's volume in this manner.
I made a further assumption: A computer could be a Model Flight computer
*with* the Fiber-Optic backup otion (i.e., using *both* the "Mod Flt"
modifiers *and* the "Mod FB" modifiers).
|Displacement: 100 tons
||Hull Armor: 28
|Length: 14 meters
||Volume: 1400 m3
|Price: 93.828 MCr
||Target Size: S
|Configuration: Sphere USL
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 565.867/457.167
- Power Plant: 72 MW TL-15 Fusion Power Plant, 1 year duration
(0.258 MW surplus)
- Jump Performance: 4
- Jump Fuel: 350 m3
- G-Rating: None
- G-Turns: None
- Maint: 23
- Computer: 5x TL-15 Mod Fb Computers (1.1 MW each)
500x TL-15 Mod Flt/Fb Computers (0.11 MW each; used as "databanks")
- Commo: 1x TL-15 Radio, 30,000 km (1 hx; 1 MW)
3x TL-15 Laser-Commo, 1,000 AU (inf.; 0.3 MW each)
3x TL-15 Maser-Commo, 1,000 AU (inf.; 0.6 MW each)
- Avionics: TL-10+
- Sensors: 1x TL-15 Passive EMS array, fixed array, 90,000 km (3 hx; 0.06 MW)
- ECM/ECCM: None
- Controls: 2 Workstations
- Offensive None
- Defensive: None
- Master Fire Directors: None
- Life Support: Extended (0.28 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 6G (7MW)
- Crew: 2: 1 Maneuver, 1 Electronics.
- Crew Accommodations: 2 small statrooms (0.0005 MW each)
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: None
- Cargo: 84.2 m3 1 small cargo hatch.
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
- Air Locks: 1
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.